Are you dealing with the QuickBooks error 6177? Then you are on the right page. We will discuss all possible details related to the error. QuickBooks is one of the popular software that helps the user to track their record and keep the data of the transaction within reach. The software comes with many features that make the life of the users easy. However, along with many helpful features, it also has many errors that have troubled the active users from time to time. Facing an issue in the middle of work could be very frustrating at times and we understand that. Hence we have prepared this whole article for you.
If you are a QuickBooks user and you are facing the issue then read the whole article till the end. We will be discussing different symptoms, causes, and ways to resolve the error. Before directly jump into the solution let us first learn about the QuickBooks error 6177 in detail.
What is QuickBooks Error 6177?
The error generally occurs when you try to use the software in a multi-user version. You may experience the QuickBooks error 6177 while accessing the company file. The error message pop-up as:
“Error -6177, 0: QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file.”
The error indicates that QuickBooks software is not able to access the company file. The Windows 7, 8, XP, and Vista user might get the following message:
Error Number: Error (-6177 0)
Error Name: QuickBooks Error Code (-6177 0)
Error Description: Error (-6177 0): QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Developer: Intuit Inc.
Applies to: Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP
Triggers of QuickBooks Error 6177
There are plenty of reasons behind the occurrence of the QuickBooks error 6177. Below are some of them that arise mostly.
- The error might occur when the files of QuickBooks have some kind of malware or Virus.
- Damaged or incomplete installation of the software is also one of the reasons for the occurrence of the error.
- QuickBooks desktop does not follow the path to open the company file.
- The error may also occur due to the removable of some QuickBooks-related files.
How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 6177 0?
After understanding the reason behind the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 6177, it is time to solve the issue from the system. So without further ado let us directly jump into the solution.
Method 1: Update the QuickBooks Latest Edition
This is the first method of QuickBooks in which we will try to update the software into the latest version.
- First, open the company file and then move the file to the local system.
- If you are facing some kind of error while accessing the file then consider opening the file for a portable company file.
- Then try to update the most recent version of QuickBooks.
- If the Windows firewall ports are not configured then add them in the QuickBooks to help a few ports to open.
- Ensure that the user turns off the hosting in the clients’ PC.
- Create a new folder and then try to access the file.
- Now move the folder to the local system and then access the data.
- The folder that has the company file on the computer should have full access to the device.
- The server contains the file of QuickBooks that have the access to all the folders.
Method 2: Download and Run QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
If the above method did not help you to solve the QuickBooks error code 6177 0, then try the steps below:
- Download the connection of the Diagnostic tool QuickBooks.
- Install it on the computer.
- Then run the QB connection diagnostic tool.
- The tool will automatically detect the problem and then try to fix the issue.
- Check if you are still some error, if yes then try the next solution.
Method 3: Resolve the File Path Manually
This is the third method of the list, try to fix the QuickBooks error codes 6177 0.
- Go to the store where your company files are stored and then close the software QuickBooks.
- Delete the.ND file (network descriptor) from the computer that has the company file and then closes the software.
- Open the folder in your system where the company file is being stored.
- Look for the file with the .ND file extension.
- Then click right on the .ND file and then choose the Delete option.
- Try to configure the QuickBooks database server manager.
- To successfully perform the above step, click on the Start button.
- Select the option Program and then navigate QuickBooks → QuickBooks Database, server manager.
- Click on the option Add Folder.
- Search for the folder with the QuickBooks company file.
- Hit the OK button.
- Then press the Scan button.
- After performing the above step, check the permission to access the company file in Windows.
- Now visit the Set-up folder permission to share the company files to verify permissions.
- Once successfully installed the software, turn on the hosting On and Off.
- Open the company file through the local path.
- Make a new folder.
Method 4: Download and Run File Doctor
If none of the above solutions worked for you then try to use File Doctor.
- Download Quickbooks File Doctor and then use it on your server.
- After successfully installing the File Doctor, hit the Scan button.
- The tool will then scan the company file and then clean up the folder.
- The above steps will also refresh the location of the file.
Hopefully, the article was helpful and informative for you. In case none of the solutions helped you to resolve the issue then contact the customer services of the software. You can get the Helpline number from the official website. If you liked this article then also check out our other blogs on this website.