Summary: QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 is a runtime error that appears when the user tries to open the company file of .QBW extension in a multi-user network. It is also stated as a run time error. Because of its several consequences, users find lots of trouble while operating the business tasks. To provide you relieve to some extent, we have come up with this guide. Through this, you will be provided the best possible causes and symptoms of the error issue. So, make sure to follow each step carefully.
Error description: Any error with 6000 codes depicts a company file issue that means you can resolve it with QuickBooks file doctor. However, if you don’t know the procedure then go with this guide below.
Error Message: QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Error Code: 6189 816
Other Name: Run-Time Error
In the present world, time is the ultimate asset that must be saved. Quickbooks is the one-stop time saver when it comes to timely management of accounting and finances. It is developed by Intuit and has been assisting its users since 2012. QBs have made our work life easy as it handles the complex work on the go with a few clicks. It has become our personal accountant by dealing with the organization of financial data, managing tax bills, and receipts, updating payrolls, creating statistical reports, keeping tabs on real-time business tasks, and working on the calculation of market trends.
Despite all the good qualities, just like everything has negatives so is the case with QuickBooks. Imagine you are operating QuickBooks, your system halts, devices do not respond, and messages error pop up again and again. Won’t that be quite irritating? So, we are here to help you with all the errors and issues that a user can encounter and how to resolve them. Today, we will talk about one such error – Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816.
Before directly jumping into the solutions, we will first learn about the error, its symptoms, and finally the different solutions to fix this Quickbooks error 6189.
Defining Quickbooks Error 6189 816
Quickbooks error 6189 and 619 is basically a company file error that hinders your work when you try to access the company file in a multi-user mode via a Network device. This run-time error restricts access to the QBs company file and the error will be displayed on the screen as An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816).
This type of bug can be inevitable but it can easily be removed so that you can proceed with your work without any errors. Further to the post, we will now be discussing the reasons behind Quickbooks error 6189 816 and its solutions in a nutshell. Keep reading with us and in no time you will learn to fix all such run-time errors.
QuickBooks Error 6189 816: Causes of Occurrence
This company file error has a variety of reasons that can cause it to prevail in your system. Check the list below.
- The error can occur in case you try to access a company file that is simultaneously being accessed at another workstation by some other user.
- In case of download of a corrupted, temporary, junk, or invalid QBs software.
- Missing or damaged QBs components.
- Clean installation of QuickBooks Software is not carried out.
- Incorrect and Invalid entries in the Windows registry due to improper installation.
- The user does not have access permission before accessing the QB file.
- QBs file attacked by viruses and malware.
- Restrictions in operations can also be caused by different anti-virus software giving rise to this company file error.
- The difference in the exchange log record(.TLG) and the Quickbooks organization document(.QBW) causes the Quickbooks error -6189.
- Users logging into the single-user mode can also be a possibility.
- The version of the operating system Windows is outdated or pirated can create Error -816. Also, you should know that QuickBooks code 6210 might crash the active program window. So, keep an eye on any such errors that might occur.
- In case of troubles with the QuickBooks hosting process.
- The disappearance of system drivers or faulty computer drivers can give rise to improper operations in QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks has a damaged or broken network data file in its host system.
Symptoms of Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816
Given below is a list of symptoms that will assist you in identifying this QuickBooks error easily.
- A text error appearing as “Error 6189 816: Quickbooks Error Code 6189.”
- Inability to access and halting the company file.
- A weak network connection or unstable network setup can be witnessed.
- Windows halts and freezes from time to time.
- Your system’s response time becomes very high.
- The consequent crashing of your PC.
- Mouse and other input devices do not function and respond normally.
- The inability of your system to read any kind of commands.
Once you have identified the error with this given list, now you are all set to resolve it but how. We are with you in this and we are getting to it as fast as we can. Read below to know about the methods that will troubleshoot the error -6189.
Fixing QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816
We have provided you with the best and easiest solutions to troubleshoot this company file error. You just need to follow every solution separately and choose the solution as per your desires. Let’s start with the solutions now.
Solution 1: Using Quickbooks Tool Hub
Quickbooks Tool Hub is the one-stop solution for all the errors that exist in the Quickbooks software. It is the ultimate repairing QuickBooks tool. So, to troubleshoot Quickbooks Error Code -6189 -816 you need to follow the steps below.
Step 1: QBs Tool Hub Installation
- Firstly, close all the processes related to QuickBooks that are running in the background.
- From the main website of QuickBooks Intuit, you need to look out for QuickBooks Tool Hub download.
- Choose a directory location to save the downloaded file.
- After a successful download, you need to open and access the file and start the installation process.
- Do as per the instructions shown on the installer window, agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click on the finish option and your installation will be completed.
- After a successful installation, you will have to launch the Quickbooks hub tool.
Step 2: Resolving the Error with the tool hub
- After launching the Quickbooks tool hub, a home page window screen will be displayed.
- Now, reach out for the tab Program Problems.
- Within this tab, you need to click on the option Quick Fix my Program.
- This process will take a couple of minutes and now you can open your QBs file with the error 6189 and 816 resolved.
In case the error still exists in your system, then you are advised to jump onto the next solution.
Solution 2: Restart the System and the QB server
There can be a situation when you need to restart your PC and rest the server settings to resolve any such kind of error. We will guide you below on how to carry out this process. Read the steps below.
- Firstly, you need to restart the computer server.
- Now, you need to reboot the QB workstation.
- After this, click to open the Desktop Quickbooks on the system server.
- After a successful restart of the QB desktop on the system server, the user has to open the QBs desktop on each and every workstation server.
[*It is necessary to know the hosting location of the company file. In case the user is using the QuickBooks enterprise hosting and not the server system, then you should take proper advice from an IT professional to help you with the above process.]
Solution 3: Using Quickbooks Database Server Manager
In case of the company file being accessed on the server computer then you need to use the Quickbooks Database Server Manager for quick fixing of errors. This tool will rectify the instability of multi-user mode and fix QuickBooks Error 6189 instantly. Steps have been given below on how to use this tool.
- Firstly, open the Quickbooks Tool Hub in your system.
- Under the tool hub, you need to find the Quickbooks Database Server Manager option and click on it.
- Quickbooks Database Server Manager window will be displayed. Now, you need to find your company file with an error. You can also browse your company file if you are unable to select it from here.
- After this, click on the tab Start Scan.
- After performing the scan, you will see that the Quickbooks Database Server Manager will self resolve the firewall problems and permissions in a few moments.
- After a successful scan, you need to click on the option Close.
- Now, open the server workstation and access the QuickBooks Desktop.
- At last, Check the error if it still persists in your other workstations.
Solution 4: Changing the Company file location to the Local Drive
This is just a copy-paste method to change the company file location to the C Drive of your system. You just need to keep a few points in your mind.
- This method should be used only if you are unable to fix your error by using the solutions above or in case of the company file being stored on an online space or a removable drive.
- Transferring the data of the company file from one system to another is beneficial at times of system crashing and during the time of system upgrade.
- You can even transfer the company data file on the hard drive of the system server. Dropbox, google drive, etc, can be accumulated via online file hosting services.
- You must keep avoiding the removable drivers for keeping transferable company data files as these drivers are not compatible with running Quickbooks or multi-user network modes.
- Encryption of the QBs files stored on the hard drive because it blocks the multi-user connection in QuickBooks.
Solution 5: Updating Quickbooks Desktop Update
While using the older version of QuickBooks, you can encounter such types of errors from time to time. In such situations, you just need to update the QuickBooks software to its latest upgraded version available in the market. After a successful update from the official website of Intuit, you will no longer witness the existence of this run-time error and you can proceed with your work in free flow.
Solution 6: Using Quickbooks Refresher Tool
The Quickbooks Refresher Tool is an astonishing tool that assists the user by refreshing all the system processes and switching off all the programs running in the background. All types of errors can be resolved in QuickBooks with this tool and so is the case with QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816. We are guiding you on how to get this tool with the steps given below.
- From the Intuits’ website, search for the QuickBooks Refresher Tool download and save the file in your system.
- After a successful download, you will see a QBRefresher.exe displayed in your system. Also, save all the related files on your PC.
- Now, you need to see if any other program is running in the background. Close all the Qbs related programs running in your system. Sometimes the QuickBooks will close immediately and show QuickBooks 2017 Crash Com Error.
- Start the process of installation by tapping on the downloaded file.
- Following the screen instructions, you need to further agree to the license agreement and tap on Finish at last.
- Click on the installed program, the QBs Refresher Tool will be launched in a few seconds and you are all set to use the tool.
- Also, the QuickBooks desktop software needs to be opened to use the refresher tool.
Solution 7: Rename the Transaction Log file and Network Data file
The configuration files Network data file and transaction file allows the user to work in multi-user mode. In the case of these files being corrupted, damaged, or broken then, this run time QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 will prevail in your system.
On performing a scan with Quickbooks Database Server Manager, the configuration files will be created automatically by themselves. Renaming them can help you a lot when it comes to fixing this error. The user can rename the TLG and ND file, and check if the error still exists in your system. Follow the steps below to rename the file.
- Firstly, you need to open the company file that is to be rectified from errors.
- After this, find the company_file.qbw.nd and company_file.qbw.tlg file.
- Now, right-click on the company files and tap on the rename option to rename your files.
- At last, you have to re-launch the QuickBooks software to check whether the error has been resolved or not.
Solution 8: Creating and Restoring a Backup File
You are needed to create a QuickBooks company file backup on your previous system. After the backup has been created, you need to try restoring the backup file to your new PC. To complete this process, perform the steps below.
- Using the flash drive or any other external device can help you restore the files.
- Else you can easily connect your systems in case you have a good network connection setup.
Solution 9: Using QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is an instant repair tool that can easily fix many QBs errors including Quickbooks errors 6189 and 816. Follow the steps given below to know how to use the QFD tool.
- Double click on the QuickBooks Doctor File Tool and open it.
- You now need to select the company file with an error.
- Click on the Run Quickbooks file doctor tab.
- A scan will be performed to identify the error and will be resolved in a few seconds if the error exists.
- Now, you have to reopen the QuickBooks file to check whether the error still prevails in your system or not.
Solution 10: Manually Fixing the Quickbooks Error 6189 816
- Firstly, reach out for the Transaction Log file (TLG file) and start renaming it.
- Now, verify the permission endowed by the user to QBDataServiceUserXX for the QBs software.
- After this, you need to confirm whether the company files are encrypted or not.
- Copy and paste the same file on your computer desktop.
- Now your error has been manually fixed but just in case you are still not able to open it you can move back the same file to its original default folder location.
Solution 11: Troubleshooting the error via a Sample company file.
To rectify the errors by using the sample company file, you need to go through the steps below.
- Click on the QuickBooks application on your system to open it.
- Now, reach out for the “No Company Open window”, and find the “Open a Sample File” option, and tap on it.
- Select the “Random company file.”
- Your company files will be restored automatically. In case it still shows errors do check if in case the company file of QuickBooks has not been saved with. QBW extension name, this might trigger quickbooks error 6147. The co0mpany file has many such related errors one such error occurs when, the company file is saved in the folder that has “Incorrect folder permission”It triggers Quickbooks error 6000 77.
Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 is a general company file error that hinders your work when you try to access the company file in a multi-user mode via a Network device. This run-time error restricts access to the QBs company file. With this post, we have tried the best on our part to enlighten you on QBs Error Code 6189 aspects like the causes of its occurrence, its traits to identify and the easiest methods to fix this company file error. We are hopeful your errors will be resolved quickly to make your work operations smoother and swifter. Just in case, you are still encountering the error then you can get professional guidance from an IT expert in the related field.