QuickBooks is a software that is very popular among users. It has some great features and specifications that help them to easily record the data and the transaction. Small and big businesses use the application to keep the data at their fingertips. However, with great features, the software also introduces some errors, like QuickBooks error 15240.
Many QuickBooks users have complaint about the error and shared their frustration while facing the issue in the middle of the work. We understand how irritating it could be, hence we have prepared this whole article dedicated to QuickBooks update error 15240. We will discuss the causes, symptoms, and also the solution to the issue.
What is QuickBooks Error 15240?
QuickBooks Error 15240 is an update error, the issue might put you in trouble and also can induce some further problems if not resolved on time. This error generally occurs after updating QuickBooks. You would know that you are experiencing the error when you are not able to use the manual payroll feature.
The user who faced the QuickBooks Error 15240, may receive the message:
“Error 15240: The update did not complete successfully or the file you specified cannot be opened.”
“QuickBooks error 15240- HRESULTXXXX the Quickbooks Update did not complete successfully.”
The error code 15240 QuickBooks generally occur in the following Microsoft Windows Operating System:
- Windows 7
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000
- Windows 8
- Windows 10
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 15240
When a user encounters the QuickBooks payroll error 15240, he/she generally experience a few symptoms. Some of them are listed below:
- The system will begin to freeze.
- Due to the error, the system might also work slow.
- You may also experience the crashing of the computer frequently.
- The software, QuickBooks will not allow downloading the latest version of QuickBooks payroll.
Triggers of QuickBooks Error 15240
Before directly solving the error it is always better to understand the software first. Knowing the causes helps the users to treat the problem easily. Hence we will now discuss some of the main reasons that might cause the error to arise.
- The user is using the outdated version of QuickBooks.
- You have entered the wrong log in as an Administrator.
- It could arise due to the damaged or corrupted registry file or Windows.
- The damaged QuickBooks updates are also one of the reasons.
- The download link from which you have got the software might be incorrect, invalid or wrong.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15240?
Now we know the symptoms and the causes of the error code 15240 QuickBooks, it is time for solving the QuickBooks error 15240. If you are facing the issue then please consider reading each of the solutions very carefully.
Method 1: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
This is the first solution to the list. In this method, we will try to resolve the error using Install Diagnostic Tool QuickBooks.
- First of all, download the QB Install Diagnostic tool and then install it.
- To download it, go to the official site of Intuit and then get the tool.
- After completing the downloading now try to navigate the file with the name, QuickBooksDesktopInstallDiagnosticTool.exe.
- Choose the option and then hit the Run button.
- When you will get the message on the License Agreement page, click on the Yes button.
- As you will successfully install the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool, now restart the system.
- Diagnose the issue with the help of a Diagnostic Tool. The tool will start scanning the system to find out the error.
- The scanning process might take some time to complete and resolve the issues.
- After the completion of the diagnosis procedure, restart the system.
- Check whether you are still getting the error or not.
Method 2: Make sure that you have set QuickBooks as an Administrator
If the error does not resolve in the first method then try this one. You might not have assigned the software as Administrator. To change the setting follow the steps below:
- Go to the QuickBooks icon and then click right on it.
- Choose the button Run as Administrator.
You can easily change the setting by performing the two easy steps. Now check if the issue still exists. If it does then check the next solution.
Method 3: Reinstall the QuickBooks with Clean Install Tool
Another method to resolve the error is to reinstall the software using the tool Clean install. Follow the steps below:
- Tap on the Start Menu on the screen.
- Go to the control panel and then hit the option Uninstall a program.
- Then choose the QuickBooks Application and tap on the button Uninstall/changes the App.
- Choose option Uninstall and then follow the pop-up instruction to stop the application from the system.
- After performing the above step, download the QuickBooks clean install tool from the official site of Intuit and then apply the tool to your device.
- On the Term and conditions of the tool kit, hit the option I accept.
- Choose the QuickBooks version and then hit continue.
- Click on OK and Install QuickBooks to reinstall the application.
- Now try to open the software and check if the QuickBooks error 15240 is still there or not.
Method 4: Verify if the Date and Time is Correct
If your system has an incorrect Date and Time then chances are the error code 15240 is occurring due to that. To change the date and time follow the given steps below:
- Go to the Start Button on the system and then hit the open button.
- Navigate the Search field and then search for Control.
- Hit the OK button.
- Click on the Control Panel.
- Go to the setting of Change Date and Time.
- Modify the time and date correctly.
- Hit the Apply option and then tap the OK button.
The above settings will change the incorrect date and time and help the user to remove the error code 15240 QuickBooks.
Method 5: Verify the MS Internet Explorer
- Go to the option Internet Explorer and open the tab.
- Tap on the Tool Menu in the Internet Explorer.
- Choose the Internet Options.
- Then open the Advanced Tab.
- Scroll the list until you get the option SSL2.0 and SSL3.0.
- Near the option, mark the Check box to select them.
- Then hit on Apply and OK to complete the process.
Method 6: Allow Permission to QuickBooks
Most users are able to resolve the problem using the above method. In case, it is not the case for you then do not worry, we have this method too.
- First of all, you have to exit from the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Then try to open the Windows File manager.
- Go to the Program Files and then folder.
- Click right on the Intuit folder.
- Go to the option Properties and choose the Change lest option under the section of Owners.
- Select the section type under the Enter the object name.
- Tap Check Names.
- Hit the OK button and on the option Replace owner on sub containers and objects section mark the checkmark.
- Hit on the Apply button and click on the OK.
- The above step will open the Permission tab, under the tab select the option Uses and then choose the Full Control.
- To save the changes click on the Apply and then OK.
These are all about the QuickBooks error 15240, the article will help the users to resolve the payroll update. Hopefully, you find the blog helpful and informative. We have divided the article into three easy sections. In the first section, we discussed the symptoms, in the second one we tried to understand the main causes for the occurrence of the error code 15240 QuickBooks. And in the last section, we shared different ways to solve the issue. Even at the slightest chance, the solution did not help you to fix the issue then we would suggest you contact the customer service of QuickBooks. You can get the helpline number from the official website of Intuit.
If you liked the article then you might also like to check out our other technical-related blogs where we have discussed ways to resolve some other QuickBooks-related issues. You can get the article on our website Update QuickBooks.